HOWDY, Y'ALL!

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Evacuated

Undoubtedly you have seen the photos of the insanity on I-45. I began my own trek on Thursday morning at 5:15 am, fully intending to avoid that interstate completely.

At least until the radio announced that they would be opening all lanes of traffic to go northbound. "Sweet!" I thought. Seemed most people had taken my idea to go up through College Station to Waco and hit I-35.

Once on I-45, it took 3 hours to go 8 miles. In five hours I had managed to hit a few pockets of moving traffic and got 50 miles down the road. At 1:30, nearly 8 hours after I had left, I took an exit for backroads, wound my way up to I-35 north of Waco, and cruised into Dallas just before the thick of rush hour. Needless to say, I looked as though a hurricane had hit.

Rita has managed to avoid Houston for the most part. For this we are thankful. Still no word on the damage or any of the after effects. I hope to be able to return Sunday evening or Monday morning. Much will depend on the power situation.

I can't tell you how much I have appreciated all the prayers and offers of hospitality. An very big thanks to Aunt Kathy and her family for opening up her home to me. I know that can change the dynamics of a house real quick. I was able to get a round of golf in yesterday (didn't break 50 but did manage a birdie), took some power naps, and caught a Texas high school football game (Creekview, my cousin's school won, 37-14).

Today we get to watch the Spartans throttle the Illini and tomorrow I am going to my college roommate's church. Our campus pastor from CUW is there, so it will be good to hear a familiar voice deliver the sermon.

I know, I know. Sounds more like a vaction. I do miss my wife and my daughter more than I could ever explain. I pray they are able to return as previously scheduled on Monday. If not, the hugs will be tighter and the kiss a little bit longer. (Sorry if thats too much information, but I miss my BABIES!) Praise God for his protection so that this entire situation wasn't more serious than it could have been.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAS DAD, DAS Grampa, Mister J SIR!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are ok! Sounds like that trek was like driving through Chicago on Thanksgiving...it's just not right.

It was great to see your "babies" this past week...your daughter is adorable and I swear those Janetzke genes must be overpowering because she definetly has the Janetzke rosey cheeks! Your Aunt Julie even agrees.

Erin and I decided we should hang out when you come up for Christmas break, do a little hand off of your child and then hang out. It will be fun.

11:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way..^^^^ That post was from Ben Walther

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home