HOWDY, Y'ALL!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Baton Down the Hatches!

She ain't perty, that's fer cottin' pickin' sher.

There she is, in all her glory. Miss Rita. Headed right for the Texas Gulf Coast.

Thank you to all those who called for housing offers, prayers, and general concern. I certainly did not get all this done by my own power.

To fill EVERY one in...Tomball is about 35 miles northwest of Houston. That puts us about 90 miles from the gulf coast. Depending on where the eye of the hurricane lands, we can see anywhere from 6-36 inches of rain and 35-75 mph winds. Cool, huh! All Houston area school districts have been told to shut down for Thursday and Friday. Rita is due to hit about midnight Friday to Saturday morning.

Now, as I mentioned to many of you, this is a far cry from the snowstorms that I am used to having interupt school. Erin and Maddie are in Milwaukee on a previously scheduled trip. I have packed up some irreplacable items, moved furniture and other items into bathrooms and hallways, and taped up windows to keep damage to a minimum. I am going to grab a few hours of sleep and try to wind my way up to Dallas to stay with my aunt and uncle. We are expecting power to be out, not sure how long, and it is likely we will not have school on Monday either.

It has been an overwhelming time at school with relief efforts for Katrina, and I may have tested the big man upstairs when I exclaimed to my lovely wife "I need Christmas break NOW!" Well, here it is. Not quite what I had in mind.

I caught myself taking comfort in the words of a hymn we sung at church this weekend, as I taped up windows:
Have no fear little flock, have no fear little flock
For the Father has chosen to give you the kingdom
have no fear little flock

Thankful hearts raise to God, thankful hearts raise to God
For He stoops down to heal you, uplift, and restore you
Thankful hearts raise to God

Praise the Lord high above, Praise the Lord high above
For He stays close beside you, in all things works with you
Praise the Lord high above

It's like I told our secretary Rita as we walked out the door today, "we know who is in control."

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

you are in our prayers. let us know if we can do ANYTHING to help!

10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home